Saturday, September 6, 2008

Scituate Driftway

Yesterday Mom planned to take me back to Stoddard's Neck. It was very hot, and she wasn't feeling great so she wanted to take me someplace less strenuous and where I could get wet. On a whim, though, she decided that we would make another attempt to find the Scituate Driftway. For a while it looked like we would be lost again, but then suddenly she found it. Yay!
This is the view when you first arrive at the Driftway. The Driftway is at the mouth of (I believe) the North River, but it could be one of the many Herring Brooks that are really rivers and permeate the South Shore.
This is another view.
This is me, not waiting for Mom to take more pictures.
Sand can spit?
In case the print comes through too small to read, this is a warning from the coast guard saying that 9 people have died here over the last 10 years and that the currents are dangerous and can change at a moment's notice.
This is me not reading the warning.
Mom couldn't keep me out. I told her it would be okay, because she wouldn't let me go in where I couldn't touch the bottom and I had my leash on.
I love to swim.
That looks grim, doesn't it?
Shake!
Mom's going to take me on this, isn't she?
Wow, this looks grim!
Back into the river.
Whee!
Is this structurally sound?
Get me an engineer.
I don't know what this means.
Winking!
View from the rickety dock (which actually held up quite well.)
I don't know what this is, but it's definitely cultivated.
It is on AJ's Memorial Trail.
I don't know who AJ was, but someone misses him very much.
I'm very grateful to them for giving us this pretty park, though.
This observation deck looks less scary.
This is debris.
This is reassuring....
Dog in the sand!
Path.
Scrubland.
Me on the path. Note the red leaves already!
More debris.
A tent.
It seems to be empty though.
Me.
Me on a dune.
I like it here.
It's kind of windy.
More reassurances....
Mom says if kids are using it for target practice they need to keep practicing.
Sniff.
Another path.
Me.
This is a view across the marsh. It's a country club. The Driftway wasn't in the GPS, but the country club is!
These are more houses across the way.
This is some open space.
These are reeds. Mom thought they were pretty.
I like the open space though.
I would run and run across it.
Then I would run and run back.
But I'm on a leash.
I'm okay with that.
What's over here? Can I lick it?
I didn't try to jump in, believe it or not.
I look so cute in the brush!
From a distance, this looks rickety, but up close it looks okay.
Pole.
A sandy path.
Do we have to?
I'd rather stay down here in the shade.
Oh, fine.
Road.
Zombie picnic?
I don't see any brains.
We don't have to climb the stairs, do we?
Pretty foliage.
More pretty foliage.
Mom likes foliage.
Can we get down from here?
View from the top of the stairs.
Me.
Hey, what part of "No Wake" do you think doesn't apply to you?
There's a sign that says "No Wake" very distinctly.
I read it myself.
More pretty foliage.
Can we go back in the river?
Gull on a pole.
Going home!















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Golden also enjoys "AJs". I bet Yogi will also like the Widows Walk golf course across the street in the winter. Widows Walk generally opens for free dog walking ~12/24-03/17 (weather dependant). Hope to see you there!