Saturday, March 8, 2008

Ball

Yesterday we went to Houghton's Pond, but we did something unusual. Mom wanted to make sure that I was good and tired, because today's weather was supposed to involve flooding and we weren't likely to be able to go anywhere today, so we went around the pond twice. I only realized that because she told me, though. Otherwise I would never have realized, because there was always something (or someone) new to sniff. I made friends with a little beagle about my age, and I met a couple of other dogs and a small child who was terrified of me despite insisting to his grandma that I was his brother. Two-leg children are weird. Oh well. I'm weird too.

Anyway, the people and the dogs and the kids aren't what I wanted to tell you about. There was this one spot on the trail where you can get right down to the pond. It was fabulous. I splashed around, and I drank the water, but do you know what really caught my attention? Balls. They'd been frozen in the snow and the pond for a while. There must have been about six tennis balls floating in that one spot, but Mom wouldn't let me have them. She said that they belong to Reggie. She did let me have the giant, sodden, waterlogged soccer ball. We kicked it around for a few minutes, in and out of the water. It didn't go very far, but it was such a wonderful and surprising find!

No comments: