Sunday, March 9, 2008

Blaat!

Yesterday I gave my mom quite a scare. I threw up early in the evening. Then I threw up again, and again and again. I couldn't keep anything down, nothing at all! Mom couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. As near as she could tell, I hadn't eaten anything I shouldn't. There weren't any empty pill blisters on the floor, and there weren't any cleaning products that I could even get to. There was no chocolate out anywhere. There was no discernable reason for me to be so sick, but I couldn't even hold down an ice cube. I threw up a few times after we all went to bed, too.

At two o'clock in the morning, Mom called the nice people at the 24-hour emergency vet in Weymouth (which is near us.) The lady Mom spoke with was very nice and said that it was probably not an emergency yet. She told Mom to take away my food and water and give me nothing by mouth at all for 24 hours. If I was able to keep anything down after that, I would have passed whatever was causing the problem out of my system. If I still couldn't keep down water, there was an obstruction, and they couldn't do anything about it with anything in my stomach anyway. Keeping me thirsty and hungry would let them diagnose the obstruction right away and fix it.

So far, I'm doing okay for today. I threw up a big block of something that looked like a sponge even though all sponges were accounted for this morning, and I've been fine ever since. I'm not in any pain and I'm certainly not lethargic - quite the opposite right now. It's all I can do to type! But I'm not throwing up. Dad even sneaked me an ice cube, my favorite treat, and I've kept that down no problem. Mom still won't give me any real food until the full 24 hours are up, though. Oh well.

Dad says to tell you that dog food smells better on the way in than on the way out.

No comments: