Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The mean dog

Yesterday, Mom took me for a walk at the part of the Blue Hills that is near my house. It was nice to be out there. Neither of us had ever seen the place by sunlight before; it's always been gray and soggy. Anyway, we walked in the opposite direction from the way we walked last time, so that we could get the Scary Bridge out of the way early. Mom doesn't understand why I'm afraid of the Scary Bridge, since it isn't up high and it isn't wobbly, but I fear it just the same. Anyway, I caught the scent of plenty of things while I was there, but I didn't meet anyone. I tried the water in the St. Moritz Ponds from every possible access point, but it didn't taste any different at all. I was kind of disappointed.

When we were near the end of our walk we met a woman, her two-leg son (or other relative), and their big shepherd dog. The dog looked nice enough, and they had him off the leash, so Mom thought it would be okay if we sniffed each other. All of a sudden, he got very mean. His hackles rose, he growled and barked and he finally bit me hard on my neck. It hurt! I cried, and Mom jumped in. She strongly encouraged the people to control their dog, using language that I can't really re-print. It jumped them into action, although I'm not sure who they were more scared of. Mom was really mad, but they said their dog has never behaved this way before.

Anyway, he doesn't seem to have broken the skin, so I guess all's well that ends well. I was very happy to go home and sit in the house, though!

No comments: