Sunday, February 10, 2008

Seeing an old friend

Yesterday morning the sun was out. I think that it was the first time that it hadn't actively precipitated since last week. It was cold, but Mom decided that we had both had enough of being inside and that she was taking me to Houghton's Pond, in the Blue Hills Reservation. By the time that she'd had enough coffee to be allowed to drive, the sky was no longer sunny but gray. Mom said that we were going anyway, and we did.

The woods were so pretty, all covered in snow as they were. Mom says that snow is never, ever pretty, but honestly, it looked like something from a postcard. We walked the usual route, counterclockwise around the pond, and do you know what happened? We met my buddy Reggie! It was so good to see him! We were so happy to see each other, we ran around and barked. Reggie is a barker. This is normal for Springer Spaniels.

Regggie and I played for a while, while Reggie's person gave Mom some ideas on where she could take me to practice being off-leash safely. Unfortunately they were all in Easton. Mom isn't entirely sure where Easton is, but she's very excited to find out.

After that we finished our walks and came home. Do you know what happened after that? We went down to the lake! The lake is behind our house. I can see it from inside, but there's a fence between the top part of the yard and the bottom, which goes down to the lake. I broke up some of the ice down there, and I splashed in the water, and then I came back up on land. Mom wouldn't let me off the leash; she says that the ice is too thin and that the people we see out on the ice will only get what they deserve. Anyway, Dad came down to the lake too, and I ran around his knees until my leash wrapped around them twice. Then I ran away, pulling the leash very tight. It was fun! He cursed.

No comments: